Disruptor app

UX / Design Sprint

Reinventing media and saving it from disappearing.


We were given the challenge of reinventing media and saving it from disappearing.

Our goal was to create disruptive solutions by creating new business models and acquiring new users.

The methodology chosen was Design Sprint, to develop a fast and effective solution created in only five days.

Design Sprint

We worked in groups of 8 that then were divided in 4 to finally work individually on our solution.

A design sprint is a fast methodology that helps solving big challenges as this one by mapping an idea, creating, prototyping & testing.

¿how can we reinvent media’s business?

Goal Definition

Day 1 Understand the problem

As the Design Sprint method indicates the first thing we did was debate and define our goal in the form of a question. 

We then brainstormed hypotheses in form of questions, to help us answer our goal, also the future possible cause of failure.

Everything we create is designed around the user and it’s relationship with our product, it’s journey.

In this case we created three journeys having in mind the problems information might bring to our users as it is. These journeys help us visualize the problems everyday users encounter, and they also remind us that we create for users and not for us.

Customer journeys


to transform our Design Sprint questions on to How Might We…questions. we then voted the one we liked the most, finally we decided together with the facilitators to pursue this target:

HMW…create a multi sensorial experience?

Day 2 Ideate the solutions

we started the day talking to experts on the matter, people that work for big newspapers. They gave us very valuable insights. We also did benchmarking, being a multisensorial project, we were inspired by podcasts, social media, vr glasses, interactive videos, etc.

To come up with ideas we followed the four-step sketch method that left us at the end of the day with a detailed end to end solution from each member of the group.

My proposal

Our goal was to add value to our product so that people would pay for it. Offering the same news in multisensorial ways meant that we could offer different experiences and charge depending on that. We wanted to be appealing to young people so I decided to inspire myself in interactive videos & social media. Once the user clicked on the news, they could choose also the format: plain text, podcast, interactive video, or virtual reality.

Day 3 Make a decision

The next day we voted with the technique of heat maps, voting for the most interesting part of each project; and finally voted the project we liked the most.

My proposal was the winner of my group, although we also liked some aspects of other proposals that I decided to include on to my prototype.

Day 4 Prototyping

As news was our product, I thought we should be able to access it wheneverwherever and so I created the prototype for the device that rarely separates from us: the mobile phone.

After all the research and creative process, getting to it was pretty straight forward. I Developed a bit more the wireframe structure and then created a quick style for the newspaper, which I called Disruptor.

As our idea was inspired on media and new technology, my design options were to create it in dark mode to be easier on the eye and also to standout from others.

The magenta and purple colours from the logo that are also used as an accent; were inspired by media and current design trends found in other products young people consume. My goal was to make something they might find familiar.

Day 5 Testing

I tested my prototype with 8 people from different backgrounds and ages but all of them interested in being informed, that used platforms to do so.

Overall the feedback was positive, offering more media options was appealing to most of them. They also seemed to  have the same navigation problems, so I Iterated the first version of the app. 

I concluded with a positive feelling. 

I tested my prototype with 8 people from different backgrounds and ages but all of them interested in being informed, that used platforms to do so.

Overall the feedback was positive, offering more media options was appealing to most of them. They also seemed to have the same navigation problems, so I did some iterations to the first version of the app.

I concluded with a positive feeling.

The strength of the Design Sprint process is that you are able to create possible solutions in very little time and even if it fails, it’s still a victory having all that knowledge in only 5 days.

To read the whole article please visit my Medium account.

Laura De la cruz



This website uses cookies and third party services. OK